Bollywood pretty much has the smoky eye down on lock. So of course, when I sat down with one of their biggest makeup artists, M.A.C’s Mickey Contractor, I made sure I’d ask him about how to get the smoky eye look so many of us are still trying to perfect (that includes me). Instead of telling me, he asked one of his assistants, Donnie Hsiao, to show me! Donnie went right to work, telling me exactly what he was using to achieve the look while he worked:
1. First, apply the paint pot all over the lid. This will ensure that there is not creasing and allows you to start on a neutral base.
2. Next, apply the Smolder liner to your top lashline with the 219 brush. Smudge out.
Apply black liner
Extend smudging up to the crease
3. Then apply a little of the Folie shadow, topping it with Carbon on the lid and blending with the fluffy 217 brush.
Apply a dark shadow like Carbon to lid
4. Go back to the liner brush and line the bottom inner lid. Smudge out.
Add liner to the lower lash line
Smudge lower liner
5. Using the same brush, add Folie to the crease. BLEND.
Add Folie to the crease
6. To finish, add Ricepaper to highlight your brow bone. Finish it off with lots of Zoom Lash mascara!
Add Ricepaper to browbone
7. Clean up the surrounding area in case any shadow pigments fell under your eyes by using a powder foundation like M.A.C Studio Fix Powder. To finish up my look, Donnie also used Lust tinted lip gloss and Mocha blush.
Finished look with makeup extraordinaire, Donnie
Below is a snippet of Donnie doing my eyes — it’s not quite a tutorial in itself but I figure it’s easier to see it done if you want to imitate the look yourself!
What do you guys think? Will any of you try it at home?